piece of land measuring one square and seven acre i.e. (256 Kanals) situated
on Ferozpur, Road, Lahore about 17 kilometers from Lahore was
proposed for beggar house. The foundation was laid down by her
Excellency BEGUM NAHEED SIKANDAR MIRZA W/O Governor General
of Pakistan on 27-02-1958. The first phase of the building was
completed in late 1958. An opening ceremony was held on 30-09-1958
by her Excellency BEGUM NAHEED SIKANDAR MIRZA.
to some reasons the proposed beggar house plan was sacked and it was
decided by the then Government to provide Health facilities to the
general public. Hence the birth of Lahore General Hospital took
place in the early 1959.
opening ceremony of Lahore General Hospital was done by his
Excellency MR. AKHTAR HUSSAIN, the Governor West Pakistan on
Lahore General Hospital started functioning in the existing building
of proposed Beggar House. At that time, Hospital was used as
convalescent home for the over flow of patients of Mayo Hospital,
Lahore and there were no proper treatment / Diagnostic facilities
available at Lahore General Hospital.
department of Neurosurgery of King Edward Medical College, Lahore
was setup at Lahore general Hospital in 1966. This department was
housed in old building temporarily till 1981.
Then after the birth of Postgraduate Medical Institute Lahore in
1974, Lahore General Hospital Lahore was affiliated with
Postgraduate Medical Institute in July, 1975. Except the department
of Neurosurgery, T.B & Chest; these both departments were remain
attached with K.E.M.C, Lahore.
April 1984, new neurosurgery / Physiotherapy were completed, and
these departments were shifted in new building (Neurosurgery Block).
1995, on the shifting of Allama Iqbal Medical College to new campus,
Jinnah Hospital complex was affiliated with AIMC and PGMI was
shifted to Services Hospital, Lahore. The Lahore general hospital
was attached with AIMC. This continued till 31-05-1997. then again
LGH was attached with PGMI on 31-05-1997.
At present all these
departments are attached with PGMI Lahore, including Neurosurgery
01-07-1998 LGH was declared as an Autonomous hospital. Dr. Sabiha
Khurshid Ahmad was appointed as 1st Chief Executive of this
After the autonomy, new well equipped OPERATION THEATORS of UROLOGY
and ORTHOPADIC were started, which lowered the huge burden of SOT,
SOT was renovated and new RECOVRY ROOM added to it. A laundry plant
was also installed. Seven rooms for private patients declared in
general side in addition to eighteen rooms of Neurosurgery