Department of Ophthalmology is a 60 bedded tertiary care teaching unit comprising of male and female wings of 30 beds each responsible for caring all types of eye patients admitted through OPD or Emergency. It is one of the leading Ophthalmology Units in the province with the latest machinery and providing different subspeciality services to the patients.
The department is headed by Prof. Muhammad Moin who is a fellowship trained Oculoplastics and Vitreoretinal
surgeon. The second unit is headed by
Prof. Mahmood Saeed who is an experienced oculoplastic and Orbital surgeon.
The Department is a
renowned for its vitreoretinal services which caters for all complicated retinal disorders. It also offers advanced Oculoplastics and Orbital center providing high volume service to such patients. Anterior segment and corneal service of the department are also done using the most advanced machinery. A dedicated Ophthalmology Diagnositic department is run in the department.
We believe in prevention of Ophtalmology diseases for which we have established Retinal screening services in the Diabetic Medical Center of the hosptial and a Retiopathy of Prematuriy service in the Neonatlogy
The department is
responsible for teaching and training of undergraduates and post graduate
medical students and nursing staff.
The department is recognized for
- House job training by all examining bodies and PMDC.
- FCPS / MCPS teaching and training program recognized by CPSP.
- FRCS teaching and training program.
- MS Ophthalmology by UHS.
- DOMS by UHS.
Teaching of postgraduate trainees comprises of bedside teaching, seminars, lectures, journal club, CPC and surgical training under supervision. The department has 6 wards, 3 for males and 3 for females, operation theatre and 13 OPD rooms for various clinical procedures such as ultrasonography, biometry, visual fields, refraction etc. There are three offices for professors, one for associate professor, three for medical officers and a common room. Separate computer room and conference halls along with laser room are also included in the department. Ongoing research programs include:
- Role of stem cell graft in the prevention of recurrence of pterygium
- TRAB under topical anesthesia
- Comparison of post-operative induced astigmatism in patients undergoing 20 vs. 23 gauge vitrectomy procedures
- Frequency of post op hypotony after 23 gauge vitrectomy
- Correlation of visual recovery with macular height in macula off retinal detachment.